Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Plea to the Artisans

I feel scared. And I feel silly for being scared. Shouldn’t there be a certain amount of time that needs to pass before a college graduate begins to fear about her future?

As children, we watched grown-ups run the world. They produce entertainment, come up with inventions, save lives, make money, make music, etc. Basically, they have jobs and they contribute something to society somehow. As we grow older, we begin to understand that our time will come too, and from then on, we begin to fantasize about our adult lives will be like. Will we be rich? Will we be famous? Will we be successful? Never once did we consider the possibility of failing or facing hardships to get to where we want to be. Then again, did we even consider what our first steps would actually be?


I don’t believe I did. I think I always assumed I’d find a job, start my life, and that would be that. Instead, I find myself stressed about my capabilities and my skills, wondering why after sending two dozen resumes I have not gotten a single call back.


How many people are in this boat with me?


I can’t decide who’s to blame here. Is it us, for not choosing a more practical career path, or is it society and the monetary system (something I despise, which you’ll come to learn) for demanding a certain way of life. We are conditioned to go to school, then take our place in society with the role of our choosing, and make money from it so that we may live.


And without getting off track too much, why is our quality of life determined by how much money we make? Isn’t enough that we’re alive on this planet, that we live and breathe the same air?


Regardless of whom I want to blame (society) I can’t help now but to blame myself. I’m an artisan. I have a craft, and I need to do it. It’s the only thing I can do. It’s the only thing I want to do. It’s the only thing that makes me happy. Why should I put myself through the torture of having to do something I don’t want to do to so I can live a decent quality of life?


I’m scared now because I don’t like the answer to that question. I don’t like the options available to me. I spent my childhood years believing that when I was finally “grown-up” I’d be happy. I could focus on what I wanted to do and what I was good at, and I could be happy. And while I know that this is only the beginning, and this is just a minor setback, I feel smothered from the get go.


But this is what I have. These words. My words. My ideas and my craft. And I speak to those who relate; you know who you are. I wont give up. I wont sacrifice my happiness or my quality of life. I will do what I do best and I will be successful because I will be happy. My quality of life will be superb.


I urge you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment